24 July 2013

Nathanael's Birth Story! Part 1

Here we are again, 17 months later, celebrating the arrival of another child into the Stacy family! This time, it's a HE!!

And again, I thought my child would be here way too early because I just "felt" ready. Alas, God had a perfect plan...and here it is.

Baby Nate was due on June 5, 2013. My mom came on June 1. On Monday, June 3, my mom, Georgia, and I went out to Target to fetch some needed items. Then, they waited in the car while I went to the doctor because I had a major sinus infection and cough that had lasted over 20 days, and I wanted some relief/assurance that my newborn wouldn't contract my awful disease. So, the doctor prescribed an antibiotic to kick out whatever lingering bug was in my system. We drove home after the doc and put G down for her nap. On the way home I felt a few short crampy contractions that basically were dull like period cramps. I thought nothing of it...mainly because 3 days prior I had painful contractions for 8 hours straight that were about 8 min apart. Then, suddenly they vanished. Completely.

Side note*** I was 100% NOT going to cry wolf and go to the hospital until I was 100% sure that a baby would come out of me, simply because I have heard and read too many stories where the mama gets sent home to wait it out longer. So, I thought, I'll just stay home as long as I can.

Back to Monday. Georgia is napping and we are putting things away, cleaning, and making lunch. It's about 1:30 at this point. Mom made some BBQ chicken pizza, and I was eager to grab a slice until I had another contraction. This one was slightly more painful, and lasted about 45 seconds, so I decided to forgo the pizza and opt for some plain ol' crackers and cheese. Eventually, the contractions started seeming more and more frequent and more and more painful. Maybe it was time that I timed them?

So, for the next hour, without letting my mom or Broun know (he was in the library studying all day) I timed my contractions. Mom was resting in our bed and chatting on the phone with a friend when I came in to put laundry away...it had been an hour. I nonchalantly mouthed to her "we might be going to the hospital today". She quickly wrapped up her tele convo and said "whaatttt! Are you sure?" I said, "well, the 5-1-1 rule says if you have contractions that are 5 minutes apart, last for a minute each, and go on for at least an hour then it's probably time to go to the hospital. And mine are between 4-7 min apart, 1 min long, for the last hour and 15.....buuuttt I don't think we should go yet. I'm not convinced that this is the real thing. Plus, I need to go to CVS to pick up my prescription. "

Mom cooly said okay and let me go to CVS. It was 3:15 at this point. On the way to CVS (about 7 minute drive) I had 3 pretty horrible contractions, one of which I thought to myself "I should probably pull over before I crash but I really just want to get to CVS, so nah."

As I got to CVS I decided it would be a good idea to at least text my husband to let him know what was going on. I told him he may want to go finish packing his hospital bag just in case. So, I went inside CVS and, per usual, my prescription wasn't ready because there were 10 other geriatrics in line in front of me. Wait, I'm not a geriatric!...I digress. I patiently waited in a cushy chair off to the side. Soon, another contraction happened. Breathe. It subsided and I got up to stand in line. Mayyybe one (1) full minute passed and I felt another contraction coming on! So soon?!? What is this, a baby? This one was the worst one yet, and I crossed my legs as I stood there, thinking either a baby is going to slide out or my water is going to break. I looked around for the bathroom trying not to make an awful expression on my face. It was my turn at the counter, and I had to make a quick decision to either rush to the bathroom or stay and get my antibiotic. Naturally, I put on my focus face and calmly and collectedly got my prescription. That's when I decided it was the day to go to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment